Monday, March 1

Here's why I'm Doing This....

I got this in my inbox over the weekend. It didn't really make me feel good about myself (I've removed all names to protect the innocent):

My daughter XXX put her trust in you 3 1/2 years ago when she set out to get her Doctorate Degree. In this 3 1/2 years XXX accomplished all XXX University requirements to earn her Masters Degree. XXX needed your help to accomplish these goals. After finding out how much longer she was going to have to attend XXX to accomplish her original goal of Doctorate, caused by your lack of dedication to your students, XXX decided she would be happy with her Masters. Is it your intention to squash your student's goals because of your own inadequacy? XXX had worked so hard to accomplish her goal, just to have it wasted by a vengeful professor. You are an embarrassment to this fine institution and why the head of the XXX Dept can't help her is also a mystery. XXX needed your help and you let her down. I hope you're proud! You don't deserve to go on as a Professor at XXX University or any other University for that matter, without dedicating yourself to the STUDENTS!

I could look at this and say it's just angry parent syndrome. But there are some pretty serious accusations leveled against me, not just personally, but as a mentor as well. I will add for the record, because this irrational screed has been leveled against me, I do take it personally. And not in a vindictive manner. I want to be a good teacher. I spend hours a week thinking about how to be a better teacher, mentor, adviser. I will say one thing, that after XXX has left my graduate students, the attitude in the group has become exponentially better.

I have two female graduate student still in the group that joined at the same time as XXX. I have other graduate students that joined after XXX was in the group that are excelling in their role.

OK, I'm justifying. Maybe I need to do that after getting the irrational screed above from a complete stranger. That's what blows my mind. What kind of human being are you that sends the above email to a complete stranger?

I think that sums it all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment